Wow, it’s 2016 already. Where did 2015 go in such a hurry? It’s that cliché that as you get older, the years go by faster. That certainly seems to be true. It seems not that long ago that we were celebrating the start of a new millennium and here it is 16 years later. Again, wow.
So, what has 2015 been like for me? Let’s see…
At the beginning of the year, I made myself three unspecific goals of: write more, read more and blog more. And happily, I reached all three goals.
Write more –
I definitely wrote more in 2015 than in any years past and that’s a sad commentary because it was only around 25,000 words (including my NaNoWriMo writing and my writing done for a small online writing course – but not including my blog posts). It’s a step ahead for me, but in order to actually publish some books, I’ll need to do way more writing. My efforts in NaNoWriMo got me a good start on a YA/Sci-Fi project (16,489 words written so far). I took a break after the end of November, but am planning on getting back to it in January.
My writing goal this year would probably be at least 50,000 words, hopefully more than that if I can complete a first draft of the aforementioned project I worked on in November.
Read more –
Again, I definitely read more books in 2015 than in any years past. On Goodreads, I gave myself the reading challenge of 18 books (1.5 books per month) and I completed that goal on December 19th and then went on to read one more book on top of that. Here is a list of the books I read this year (in order of completion):
- Insurgent – Veronica Roth
- Bound – Kate Sparkes
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones – Cassandra Clare
- Grave Mercy – Robin LaFevers
- Beautiful Creatures – Kami Garcia/Margaret Stohl
- Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
- Allegiant – Veronica Roth
- Torn – Kate Sparkes
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes – Cassandra Clare
- Dark Triumph – Robin LaFevers
- Beautiful Darkness – Kami Garcia/Margaret Stohl
- Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Glass – Cassandra Clare
- Mortal Heart – Robin LaFevers
- Beautiful Chaos – Kami Garcia/Margaret Stohl
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Fallen Angels – Cassandra Clare
- Poison Princess – Kresley Cole
- Beautiful Redemption – Kami Garcia/Margaret Stohl
- Evensong – Krista Walsh
I won’t try to review all of these, but suffice it to say, I enjoyed all of them. I’m very picky when I choose to read a book, so I’m always pretty sure I’m going to enjoy it. It has to have positive reviews, but it also has to have a premise that I find interesting. If I had to pick a favorite for the year, it would have to be Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers, book two of her His Fair Assassin trilogy – a wonderful trilogy if you enjoy historical fiction mixed with fantasy.
For the new year, I’m going to up my reading challenge to 24 books or two books per month. I would include more books in my reading challenge, but I’m trying to be realistic here. 🙂
Blog more –
It’s plain to see I’ve blogged way more in 2015 than I did last year when I started this blog. I have NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) to thank for that. I probably won’t do that particular challenge this year so that I can focus my efforts more on NaNoWriMo next November. But, it brought me a lot more views, likes and followers, so it was very much worth it. Going forward, I would really like to try to post every other week (at the very least, once per month).
So, that’s it for this blog post. Again, my goals for 2016 –
- Write more – at least 50,000 words (not including blog posts)
- Read more – at least 24 books
- Blog more – post at least once every month
Again, Happy New Year! I hope all of you had a great 2015 and have an even better 2016. 🙂